Magna-Rake with Hardwood Handle - 14in.
From Northern Tool and Equipment

Powerful magnetic draw quickly and efficiently removes metal debris. Its teeth dig down below the surface to pick up nails and screws from dirt, sand, gravel, wood chips and grass. Flip it over to clear metal hazards from smooth surfaces such as driveways and garages. Great for cleaning worksites, lawns, playgrounds, sand courts and more. Lightweight aluminum head with ceramic magnets and hardwood handle. 59in.L. 1-year limited warranty. Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 14L, Handle Length (in.): 59, Application: Magna rake, Material: Aluminum head with ceramic magnets


The Magna Rake SUCKS!1
The Magna Rake SUCKS!

I bought this after watching the video on the Magna-Rake web site, but I realized that there was a trick in the video when I actually tried the product: Everywhere they picked up things in the video, the ground was always soft (sand, grass, etc). If you try to rake up items out of firmer earth, this product is practically worthless.

For example, if you're in a newly built home and there are nails all over in the back yard buried slightly in the dirt, and the ground isn't as soft as sand, this product will not work.

Look at it and think about - the teeth of the rake are triangular, not fang-shaped like a regular rake, so it's MUCH more difficult to break up the ground to loosen up any metal objects under the surface. You'll find that the most you'll pick up with this on hard ground is maybe some iron filings.

Also, don't count on this being as light as a regular rake. Due to the magnet in the head, it's a lot heavier. You'll tire of carrying this tool around quicker than you might think.

As an alternative, I recommend something like the '24" Magnetic Sweeper for Concrete, Carpet or Grass' as an alternative. This design rolls along right above the ground (pushed or pulled, like a child's toy) and picks up the nails out of the ground. It also has a release lever, which drops off all the collected objects. I bought a knockoff of this at Home Depot, and it worked 100x better than the Magna Rake.

Bottom line: Avoid this product and spend your money on an alternative. When you spend that kind of money for what is essentially a heavy, worthless yard rake (you can't even use it as a regular rake because of those worthless teeth and the weight), you expect a lot more from the product. I tried to use it for about 15 minutes and threw it in the garage, where it sits under cheaper, more used tools - and it hasn't moved from since that day I got it.

By the way - I have no idea what the other two reviewers that gave this 5 stars were thinking - maybe they're company shills for the Magna Rake makers...

Works like a charm5
I pulled about 4 pounds of nails out of the mud and dirt behind my garage with this rake. It works perfect and is a bargain at this price.

The best magnetic cleanup tool hands down5
By combining teeth with the great idea of a magnetic sweep, the magna rake performs better than any others for multi purpose job cleanup. It gets the nails that are in the dirt by 'digging in'. A must if you remodel or build, and one of the best prices too!

Leave a Reply

Pagelines
Converted by Wordpress To Blogger for WP Blogger Themes. Sponsored by iBlogtoBlog.
preload preload preload